Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Nail Polish Tag

Months ago, I was reading Kristina Werner's blog and she had used nail polish to create a card. Now that's a novel I idea, I said to myself. Being the pack rat that I am, I have plenty of nail polish on hand - even some crazy colors that I used to wear as a kid that I would probably never wear again. What a perfect use for something that I would otherwise throw out! I even found a few colors that had thickened with age and would now be hard to use for actual nail polish. The thick ones actually give a nice effect on paper, I think. You can decide for yourself! Here is the finished product using said thickened nail polish:

Just pour a line of nail polish onto your paper, then take another piece of paper and squish it down. Wiggle the paper around a little bit to get a nice rippling effect. Separate the paper, and voila!

The color is actually quite striking in real life with a nice iridescent sheen that doesn't photograph well.

A few tips: when you apply the second tag on top of the first with the nail polish on it, wiggle it around a little bit to get some nice rippling action. Let dry completely; if you do decide to use a heat tool, be careful because the nail polish may start to burn before the paper.

The embellishment is created using Hero Arts stamp with black embossing on vellum with christmas tinsel adhered to the back and popped up using a dimensional. I used my fingernails to curl the tinsel.

Lastly, the great thing about this technique is that nail polish is cheap - and you don't need the fancy stuff. Many colors also have glitter and opalescence contained in the pigment so you don't have to worry about adding your own.

Supply List:
Nail polish (Petites - Iced Grape)
Stamp: Hero Arts CL469 (Christmas)
Ink: VersaMark watermark ink
Ranger Super Fine Detail embossing powder - black

Thanks for stopping by! Feel free to leave questions or comments below!

Until next time,
Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment