Thursday, June 23, 2011

If at first you don't succeed...

I have been making cards for about a year and a half. I have made over one-hundred so far, and yet I still have those times when I finish a card, inspect it, and go....yuck. I challenged myself to take one of my "yuck" cards and try to salvage it. This is one such project. I am overall happy with the result. I do recognize there are certain flaws left, but ones that I can live with.
This is the original. Let me tell you what I think is wrong with this card.
1. The ribbon is too dark
2. The ribbon is too high
3. The embossed image is upside down
4. The stamping on the embossed image is hard to see and it's not visually appealing.
I think that's enough to start off with.

So here's the revised card.
First off, I took off the ribbon and when I did, it tore my paper >.< So I decided to distress the edges of the patterned paper to make it look like it was supposed to be that way. Then I took off the embossed image and decided to go with a stamped image on some specialty paper I purchased at Hobby Lobby. Then I took some thin fabric and sewed it to the card base to cover up more areas that had torn after I took off the ribbon, and to keep going with the new grunge look for the card. Then, I realized I had forgotten to open the card up while sewing, so I had sew the card shut. >.< So I cut the back off completely and made myself a new card base. Not perfect, but better. Also, not sure how appropriate the grunge look is for a sympathy card, but oh well. Thanks for looking! Feel free to leave questions or comments!

Textured card stock - tan
Patterned Paper - DCWV variety pack
Stamps: Autumn Leaves - Flowers by Rhonna Farrer
Ink: Stampabilities pigment dye - purple

Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment